Table of Contents
- What is E-A-T?
- Importance of E-A-T in SEO
- What are YMYL sites? Why is EAT important for them?
- Benefits of E-A-T
- How is E-A-T evaluated?
- How to Utilize Google’s E-A-T?
- Tips to improve E-A-T
- What is the new E in E-E-A-T?
Most of us read blogs and other content on the internet every day. We almost believe most of it and the rest, is put into question for legitimacy, for a while, until we move on. We face this issue every day, where we are not very sure about whether the content online is valid or not. This is where Google’s E-A-T comes into play. This concept has solved this problem of ours and revolutionized how we search for information online.
In this blog, we will look into E-A-T and understand its benefits. We will also learn how to utilize it, as marketers, and make the most of it to rank our blogs better. And lucky you, lastly, we will also discuss some tips to improve E-A-T.
What is E-A-T?
E-A-T stands for Expertise, Authority, and Trustworthiness and was introduced by Google in 2014. It is a concept used in Google’s search engine optimization (SEO) guidelines to describe criteria that websites must meet in order to rank higher in Google’s search engine results pages (SERPs). This concept is important because it helps Google determine which websites are reputable and trustworthy sources of information and should be fE-A-Tured prominently in its search results.
Let’s understand each of these elements of E-A-T in detail:
- Expertise: Expertise refers to the level of knowledge and experience that someone has in a particular field. It is often used to assess the credibility of someone or a website. For example, a doctor might be considered an expert in medicine, while a lawyer may be considered an expert in law.
- Authority: Authority is the power to influence or control others. It is usually associated with an official title or position. For example, a doctor may have authority over a patient, and a police officer may have authority over a criminal suspect.
- Trust: Trust is the belief that someone or something is reliable and trustworthy. It is often earned through consistent, reliable behavior, and can be broken if someone is seen to be untrustworthy or unreliable. For example, if a customer trusts a business, they may be more likely to purchase from them.
Websites that meet E-A-T criteria have content written by experts, have established authority in their niche, and demonstrate a level of trustworthiness. All of these elements contribute to a website’s overall quality, which is an important factor in determining its ranking in Google’s search results. This concept has revolutionized how we search for information online, ensuring that the content we are presented with is of the highest quality. Stay up-to-date with the latest industry trends Join our digital marketing training programs
Importance of E-A-T in SEO
E-A-T is one of the most important factors for success in SEO today. It is an important part of Google’s algorithm and is used to assess the quality of content and determine its ranking in search engine results.
Here are some ways Google uses E-A-T:
- Google uses E-A-T to evaluate the trustworthiness and accuracy of information presented on a website. It looks at the website’s author, the authority of the sources used, and the quality of the content. It also evaluates the website’s design and usability in order to determine how user-friendly the website is.
- Google uses E-A-T to determine whether a website can be trusted to provide accurate and reliable information. This is especially important for medical and health-related websites, as accuracy is essential when providing information about health or medical issues.
- E-A-T is also important for businesses that want to rank well in search engine results. Having a website that is well-designed, easy to use, and contains high-quality content that is backed up by authoritative sources is essential for success in SEO.
In summary, E-A-T is an important part of SEO and is essential for businesses that want to rank well in search engine results. With that being said, let’s take a look at the complete picture of the benefits of E-A-T.
What are YMYL sites? Why is EAT important for them?
YMYL stands for Your Money or Your Life, and it refers to websites that provide users with information that could potentially have a major impact on their finances, health, and safety. Examples of YMYL sites include financial advice websites, healthcare websites, and legal advice websites.
Because of the sensitive nature of the impact of these sites on the users, it is important that these sites and the content on these sites are monitored with the same level of sensitivity. This helps to control and prevent fake or invalid information from being spread through these sites.
Google’s EAT is used to determine the quality of content for such YMYL sites. Google looks at the expertise of the author, the authority of the source, and the trustworthiness of the content. This helps ensure that YMYL sites provide accurate and reliable information. By emphasizing the quality of content, Google is able to help protect users from websites providing false or misleading information.
One of the major examples of this was the information circulated on health-related sites during the COVID-19 pandemic. EAT helped in the strict moderation of the content during these times and help provide valid information to the audience.
Benefits of E-A-T
- Increased visibility: E-A-T helps websites to become more visible in organic search results, as search engines prioritize websites with higher E-A-T scores.
- Improved ranking: Higher E-A-T scores can lead to increased rankings in SERPs.
- Better user experience: Quality content and a positive user experience can help improve E-A-T scores, which can lead to improved rankings and increased visibility.
- Trust: Quality content and a positive user experience can help build trust with search engines, which can lead to improved rankings and increased visibility.
- Improved credibility: Improved E-A-T scores can lead to improved credibility and trust with search engine users.
- Increased traffic: Higher E-A-T scores can lead to improved visibility and better rankings, which can result in increased website traffic.
How is E-A-T evaluated?
Evaluating a website’s E-A-T involves assessing the expertise and authority of the content crE-A-Tors and the trustworthiness of the content itself. Expertise is evaluated by looking at the author’s credentials and background in the field, as well as the accuracy and relevancy of their content. Authority is determined by assessing how authoritative the content is in its field and the number of external websites that link to it. Finally, trustworthiness is evaluated by looking for any signs of bias, false information, or malicious content.
For example, a website about medical advice should be written by someone with experience in the medical field and should provide accurate, up-to-date information. If the content is written by someone who does not have any medical experience, it would not be considered authoritative or trustworthy and thus would not rank as highly. Similarly, if a website about financial advice is written by someone with no qualifications or experience in finance, it would not be considered authoritative or trustworthy.
How to Utilize Google’s E-A-T?
To utilize Google’s E-A-T, website owners must focus on crE-A-Ting content that is expertly written, authoritative, and trustworthy.
In terms of content, this means crE-A-Ting content that is written by experts in the field, is well-researched and well-sourced, and is free from factual inaccuracies. It is important to ensure that the content is written in a way that provides accurate information and is easy to understand. Additionally, it is important to include sources to back up the claims made in the content.
Google also looks for website trustworthiness. This means that the website should not contain any malicious content, such as malware or spam links. Additionally, the website should be transparent about its purpose and should not contain any false or misleading information. Finally, it is important to ensure that the website is secure and uses an encrypted connection.
By following Google’s E-A-T guidelines, website owners can ensure that their content is of high quality and more likely to rank well on search engine result pages.
Tips to improve E-A-T
Here are some tips to improve E-A-T in your website:
- Create detailed and accurate content: Content is the king. Creating detailed and accurate content shows expertise and provides customers with accurate information about the products and services they are interested in.
- Create content that is relevant and up-to-date: Creating content that is relevant and up-to-date is important because it helps to ensure that customers are provided with accurate and current information about their products and services.
- Include citations and external links to authoritative sources: Including citations and external links to authoritative sources is important for establishing credibility and trustworthiness
- Feature high-quality images and videos to support content: Including visuals such as high-quality images and videos to support the content is essential for an engaging user experience.
- Ensure accurate spelling and grammar: This is the most basic yet most important thing to look out for while creating content.
- Display author information: Displaying author information including name, bio, and expertise is important for EAT because it helps to build trust, credibility, and expertise with readers.
- Ensure all content is created by qualified experts in the topic: Ensuring all content is created by qualified experts in the topic is important because it helps ensure the accuracy and quality of the content being served to users.
- Utilize structured data to enhance content visibility: Structured data helps improve visibility in search engine results, making it easier for customers to find the content they need.
- Create content that is easy to read and understand: Creating content that is easy to read and understand is important as it helps to effectively communicate the message and engage the audience.
- Increase page speed, mobile responsiveness and security: Increased page speed, mobile responsiveness and security boosts trustworthiness and experience and are important to ensure a smooth and secure online experience for the customers.
What is the new E in E-E-A-T?
Google is known for its constant updates to its algorithms and policies every now and then. While there are many significant changes frequently, the letter E was added to the beginning of the well-known acronym E-A-T, which is arguably the most significant change. As of right now, Google is introducing the idea of E-E-A-T, where the first “E” stands for “experience” and has been added to indicate that the level of the content creator’s first-hand knowledge of the subject can also be used to judge the quality of the content. Google also claims that “trust” is at the core of this idea and is the “most important member of the E-E-A-T family” with this reinterpretation of E-E-A-T.
The addition of Experience to their Rater guidelines has boosted the SERP content quality by significantly. Does the author of the content have first-hand knowledge of the subject? Has the person who wrote the review actually used the good or service, for instance? Have they prepared the dish before if they publish a recipe? Some YMYL topics can even be covered by experience. Think of a cancer survivor who offers advice on surviving chemotherapy. Experience typically carries a lower bar to clear than knowledge or authority.
In conclusion, Google’s EAT in SEO is a powerful tool that has proven to be a game-changer in SEO. As Google’s algorithms become more sophisticated, EAT will continue to be an important factor in SEO strategy. With EAT, businesses can focus on producing high-quality content that is both relevant to their target audience and meets Google’s guidelines. By doing so, businesses can ensure their content will be seen and appreciated by their target audience, and also help their sites rank higher in search engine results. The future of Google’s EAT in SEO looks bright, and businesses should take advantage of this powerful tool to maximize their SEO success. Obtain a digital marketing strategy certificate to enhance career prospects and gain a deeper understanding of the complex digital landscape.
No, websites do not have an E-A-T score. E-A-T stands for Expertise, Authority, and Trustworthiness and is a score used by Google in its search engine algorithm to assess the quality of a website or webpage.
Some examples of YMYL sites include:
1. Healthcare websites
2. Financial advice websites
3. Retirement planning websites
4. Legal advice websites
5. Tax preparation websites
Yes, E-A-T (expertise, authority, and trustworthiness) is a ranking factor in Google’s search algorithm. Google looks for sites that demonstrate expertise, authority and trustworthiness when ranking websites in its search engine results pages.
Start with a topic that you are an expert on and that you can write about with confidence.
Research the topic and make sure your content includes accurate and up-to-date information.
Focus on creating content that is comprehensive, well-structured, and easy to read.
Include examples, visuals, and other media to help break up text and make it more engaging.
Make sure to cite any sources of information you use, and check for any copyright or other legal issues.